Tuesday, October 11, 2011

of silver linings and frappucinos...

It's been a quiet day here at the shop. I spend my time running errands (it seems every day we discover something else we need) reading, and periodically checking Facebook. We've had a bit of business over the past week, and once all those computers are repaired and ready to go, we will at least have earned the overhead to keep the doors open. I've been back and forth with my worries, one day in panic mode, and the next seeing the silver lining behind every cloud. Today is a silver lining day :)

Regardless of how this business venture turns out, opening the shop has fueled in me a new-found appreciation for Jackson and it's residents. Every day someone pops their head in the door to say "hello" and wish us luck. I can't even walk down the street to my vehicle without someone nodding or saying, "howdy" and "love this weather" - all from complete strangers. I love it! Yes, there are some very nice people in Lexington, but there is a charming openness to the people in this area, and it only helps to solidify my decision to move here.

Of course, all would be perfect if there were only a Starbucks or Seattle's Best! Alas, Jackson seems to be content with their Cozy Corner, Bee Happy's, and White Flash. I'm sure the kind-faced old men sipping black coffee and laughing around old diner style tables, could care less about caramel or pumpkin spice frappucinos.


Small town hospitality, home cookin', and a simple cup-o-joe are good enough for them... and for the first time in my life, they are good enough for me too!


UDDATE: Bee Happy's bit the dust, and is no longer open to the public. Boooo! Thank goodness Cozy Corner still has the most dee-lish chicken strip salad!

No comments: