Tuesday, March 27, 2012

don't be gelish! (my first nail post)

So, I've been a little obsessed with all the cute fingernail posts on Pinterest and the various fashion/beauty blogs that I frequent. I've never been very make-up crazy, and am typically pretty basic when it comes to my beauty routines. But, there are so many nail polish combos and ideas that have caught my eye, and I'm hoping to try some this spring/summer. Until then, I thought I would share my recent manicure experience.

2 weeks ago my mom treated me to a manicure, and I chose to use Gelish polish for the very first time. I've heard a lot about it over the past year, and so far it has definitely lived up to the hype. It's a 3-step application for natural nails (a UV lamp is used to set each layer), and is supposed to last for at least 2 weeks with no cracking/peeling. When I paint my nails with regular polish and a top coat, within 2 or 3 days it begins to flake-off, crack, and peel. So, any polish lasting longer than that would make me a happy girl.



The first 2 pictures were taken 8 days after the polish was applied, and the 3rd was 2 weeks out. I chose a very simple, but pretty pink. (I did not pay attention to the name of the color while in the salon, and after browsing the Gelish colors available online, I'm thinkin' it was either "passion" or "go girl")

So far, the only cracking/peeling has occurred along the cuticles, but it's only noticeable to me when I run my fingers over my nails (which I have been doing rather obsessively haha!). I am very impressed with the polish, and still can't believe how long it has last.

I think the only negative to trying Gelish, is that now I wish I could get a gel polish manicure every couple of weeks! Unfortunately, small luxuries such as this are not really in my budget right now. But, I can't wait til I am able to get it done again. I highly recommend it to any gal who is looking to add a little snazz to her nails, without having to mess with acrylic.

1 comment:

Holly in Wonderland said...

this layout is cute! i think you've done a great job! and those little icons in your header .. the camera, person, etc. you have to tell me where you got those.. they are cute!

i had an idea for another layout i wanted to do where i used little icons like that for my buttons, but i could never find any that i liked. :)